Influence of Particle Size and Alkaline Pretreatment on the Anaerobic Digestion of Corn Stover

Xiao Xiao, Ruihong Zhang, Yanfeng He, Yeqing Li, Lu Feng, Chang Chen, Guangqing Liu


The influence of particle size and an alkaline pretreatment on the anaerobic digestion of corn stover was studied. Four particle sizes, 0.075 to 0.25, 0.25 to 1.0, 1.0 to 5.0, and 5.0 to 20.0 mm, were used. The highest and lowest methane yields were obtained from untreated corn stover at particle sizes of 0.25 to 1.0 and 5.0 to 20.0 mm, respectively. 4% NaOH and 2% Ca(OH)2 (combined alkaline pretreatment, CAP) were then used together to pretreat corn stover at these two particle sizes, compared with 6% NaOH pretreatment (single alkaline pretreatment, SAP). The cumulative methane yields from particle sizes 0.25 to 1.0 mm after CAP, 0.25 to 1.0 mm after SAP, 5.0 to 20.0 mm after CAP, and 5.0 to 20.0 mm after SAP were 286.9, 287.0, 268.7, and 272.6 mLg-1 VS, respectively. The particle size barely influenced the final cumulative methane yield of alkali-treated corn stover. Moreover, the cumulative methane yield of the corn stover after CAP was comparable with that of the corn stover after the SAP under the same conditions. These results provide us with a promising substitute of NaOH pretreatment for corn stover bioconversion in the future.


Corn stover; Particle size; Alkaline pretreatment; Combination of sodium hydroxide and lime; Anaerobic digestion

Full Text: PDF

Welcome to BioResources! This online, peer-reviewed journal is devoted to the science and engineering of biomaterials and chemicals from lignocellulosic sources for new end uses and new capabilities. The editors of BioResources would be very happy to assist you during the process of submitting or reviewing articles. Please note that logging in is required in order to submit or review articles. Martin A. Hubbe, (919) 513-3022,; Lucian A. Lucia, (919) 515-7707, URLs:; ISSN: 1930-2126